For the purpose of L1 classification (and EB-1 purposes), an L1 qualifying organization may be either a Parent, Branch, Subsidiary or an Affiliate and must meet the following definitions:
- “Parent” means a firm, corporation, or other legal entity which has subsidiaries.
- “Branch” means an operating division or office of the same organization housed in a different location.
- “Subsidiary” means a firm, corporation, or other legal entity of which a parent owns, directly or indirectly, more than half of the entity and controls the entity; or owns, directly or indirectly, half of the entity and controls the entity; or owns, directly or indirectly, 50 percent of a 50-50 joint venture and has equal control and veto power over the entity; or owns, directly or indirectly, less than half of the entity, but in fact controls the entity.
- “Affiliate” means
- One of two subsidiaries both of which are owned and controlled by the same parent or individual, or
- One of two legal entities owned and controlled by the same group of individuals, each individual owning and controlling approximately the same share or proportion of each entity, or
- In the case of a partnership that is organized in the United States to provide accounting services along with managerial and/or consulting services and that markets its accounting services under an internationally recognized name under an agreement with a worldwide coordinating organization that is owned and controlled by the member accounting firms, a partnership (or similar organization) that is organized outside the United States to provide accounting services shall be considered to be an affiliate of the United States partnership if it markets its accounting services under the same internationally recognized name under the agreement with the worldwide coordinating organization of which the United States partnership is also a member.
The U.S. entity and the foreign entity must meet the L1 qualifying organization definition. The qualifying relationship must be established through documentary evidence.
Does your organization qualify? Schedule a consultation here or call our office at 919.755.0505 for an evaluation.